The dam site was identified on Indus river 54 km downstream of Skardu city and 695 Km from Islamabad. The powerhouse site is to be located 15 km downstream of dam site and 675 Km from Islamabad.
- Generation Capacity2,200 MW
- Drainage Area113,000 km2
- Average Flow962 m3/s
- Dam Height 127 m
- Head Water Level2,110 m
- Tail Water Level1,920 m
- Length of Power Tunnel11.3 km
- Gross Head190 m
- Net Head170 m
- Design Discharge1,500 m3/s
- Mean Annual Energy8,800 GWh
- Plant Factor46.4%
- The project was identified by MONENCO under CIDA grant during 1984 for a capacity of 685 MW.
- The capacity has been upgraded to 2200 MW by HPO, WAPDA.
- PC-II amounting to Rs.708.640 Million for feasibility study was submitted to Ministry of Water and Power on 18.07.2014 for approval from CDWP.
- Ministry of Water & Power returned the PC-II in April 2016, for cost updating, conformation of financing source, and priority of project in consultation with Govt. of Gilgit Baltistan.
- PC-II has been updated for an amount of Rs. 975.013 Million and will be submitted to MoW&P after firming up of financing.