FEASIBILITY STUDIES FOR RE-DESIGN OF LBOD STAGE-I
BADIN AREA DRAINAGE SYSTEM
LBOD Stage-1 Project and Badin area drainage system are located on the left side of river Indus under the perennial command of Rohri, Nara and Akram Wah Canals. The project is aimed at providing drainage facility to 1.734 million acres of districts Nawabshah, Sanghar, Mirpurkhas and Badin.
2. SCOPE OF WORK
· Prepare feasibility report and the PC-I Proforma incorporating the above mentioned options for approval and implementation including drawings, designs and cost estimates.
· Suggestions of Stakeholders may also be considered before finalizing the study for redesign of LBOD system.
· Assess the damages caused to the entire LBOD system and people of the area etc. due to alleged defective designing of LBOD System.
· Assess the environmental aspects of entire project and mitigation measures may also be included in study.
3. OBJECTIVES / BENEFITS
- To reduce overflows of storm water from the Spinal Drain
- To improve the surface drainage of Badin Area
- To check back water flow from KPOD to the Branch and Sub Drains of Badin Area
- To control sea water intrusion; and
- To check erosion in KPOD
The major expected benefits are:
- To save Badin district area from any future heavy rainfall just like the one that was received due to more than 304 mm in the monsoon of the year 2003, and its subsequent runoff that devastated the whole district.
- The Studies will be followed by the implementation of a project that will yield direct benefits in terms of increased agricultural production, balanced eco-system of the Dhands, and prevention of sea intrusion in Badin area.
DATE OF COMMENCEMENT
July 01, 2007 (Consultants mobilized on September 05, 2007)
5. DATE OF COMPLETION
Revised up to June 30, 2009 (inclusive of Consultants’ services)
6. PROJECT COST
Approved PC-II, Rs. 40.606 million; Revised PC-II up to Rs. 70.215 million has been submitted to Ministry of Water and Power
for approval of CDWP.
7. SALIENT FEATURES
During the currency of the Studies, following reports will be prepared and submitted by the Consultants:
- Inception Report
- Mid Term Report
- Feasibility Report
- Engineering Designs/Drawings
- PC - I
8. PRESENT STATUS / PROGRESS
- Final Feasibility Report submitted on June 29, 2009.
- Engineering Designs/Drawings and PC-I to be submitted by Consultants after incorporating report of Geomorphologist.
- Detail of project activities is as under:
Survey and Investigation – Completed * Hydrologic Studies – Completed * Alternate Storm Water Arrangements – Completed * Suggestions and Discussions with Stakeholders of the area for finalization of re-designing process – completed * Detailed designing & preparation of cost estimates – under finalization with Consultants * Cross-sectional survey of Tidal Link at 5 RDs apart – under finalization with Consultants * The visit of Expatriate Consultants: Geomorphologist visited site and submitted report on 25.03.2011.
Following project interventions have been agreed in the meeting held on June 29, 2009 in SIDA office Hyderabad:
|i||Rehabilitation of Surface Drains of Nawabshah, Sanghar, Mirpurkhas and Badin Component|
|ii||No remodeling of Spinal Drain. It should be rehabilitated and its banks be raised.|
|iii||Left Bank of Spinal Drain at/near RD 211 must be strengthened to avoid the risk of breaches in the future storms.|
|iv||No remodeling of KPOD. It should be rehabilitated and its banks be raised.|
|v||DPOD may be remodeled to carry 4,000 cusec of storm flow. The DPOD Weir may be widened across its section.|
|vi||All protective bunds (4 numbers) must be constructed for the safety of lives, property and crops.|
|vii||A sluice valve may be provided at RD 52 of KPOD on its southern bank for release of excessive storm water towards Kandri Dhoro under emergency and high floods.|
|viii||Flap Gate Valves structure at/near RD -5 across KPOD may be built to check sea intrusion.|
|ix||Tidal Link Plug (weir) be provided at/near RD -145 near Shah Samando Creek to stop sea intrusion/ high tides in the system.|
|x||Southern embankment of Tidal Link be constructed to plug all cuts that bring sea water into Tidal Link. The starting point of embankment is approximately from Hazaro Dhoro (RD -80) to Shah Samando Creek (RD -155).|
|xi||Removal of obstructions between DPOD and Addah Dhand|
|xiii||Facilities for fishing boats|
|xiv||Mobile pump stations|
9. INCHARGE OF THE PROJECT
Mr. Muhammad Jawed Riar
Chief Engineer (Water) South
Wapda Central Offices Complex,
Fatima Jinnah Road, Hyderabad
10. Updated upto 31.03.2011